So far the Group has published five books based on our research into the history of Spencers Wood, Ryeish Green and Three Mile Cross. The first, Our Village of Spencers Wood, was started off by Zoe Nelson, a local artist. A Group member, Barbara Debney took over as editor and the book was published in 2000. It proved a huge success and was reprinted in 2001 but is now unfortunately out of print. Copies can still be found in local libraries.
The Group turned next to researching the history of Lambs Lane School in advance of it’s centenary in 2008, published as The History of Lambs Lane School 1908-2008, and then that of Ryeish Green School before its centenary, and closure, in 2010, Celebrating the Centenary of Ryeish Green School – both still available at the reduced price of £4 each. In 2012, in advance of the impending closure of the Methodist Chapel, we were approached by Three Mile Cross Methodist Group to publish the history of the Chapel . The resulting A History of Three Mile Cross Methodist Church was published in 2013 – still available: email us for a copy at a reduced price of £4!
Most recently the Group published its fifth book, More from Our Village of Spencers Wood – now available for only £10! – via email/post/locally at the Post Office in Spencers Wood, or Budgens in Three Mile Cross. We are now working with Shinfield Local History Society on a history of the pubs in the parish.
The Group is a non-profit making organisation and the proceeds from the sale of these books (once publication costs were met) not only support the work of the Group and future publications but have allowed us to make donations to local charitable causes such as the refurbishment of the disabled toilets in Spencers Wood Hall, the restoration of the Bell Tower at Lambs Lane School and a local disabled charity.