In reviewing our new book, it occurred to us that for such a small village which is expanding rapidly we are blessed with some lovely buildings and other assets.
We have the old United Reformed Church building now turned into housing as is the Three Mile Cross Chapel. The memorial board commemorating the two world wars that stood in the grounds of the URC can now be found in the entrance of St Michael and All Angels church.
Another lovely building contributing to the village community which is thriving. Next to this well-used church is the village hall which is held in trust for the residents of the ecclesiastical parish of Spencers Wood.
We are so fortunate in having the hall which was given to the residents by Anna Hunter, in 1948, after her mother had given the use of the hall in 1911, in memory of Anna’s father, Henry Lannoy Hunter. If you live within the church parish of Spencers Wood the hall is in trust to you. It cannot be disposed of without all the residents agreeing to it. The residents certainly make full use of it.
The other building of note in our parish of Spencers Wood is the Library.
This lovely building was first built by Frederick Allfrey to be used as a school. On Allfrey’s death the school closed in 1915 and it passed to Allen who bought Allfrey’s estate. Charles Allen then sold the school and school house to Berkshire County Council (BCC) and on the dissolution of the BCC the building passed to Wokingham District Council as it was then called. Since that time the library has occupied the building and as such has been an asset to the village. We should treasure it.
Another donation to the village by Capt Cobham was not a building but allotments and recreation ground in Clares Green Road as part of the enclosure of Shinfield in 1856. Although in Spencers Wood, they were given to Shinfield Parish. The Rec’ is the only open space in Spencers Wood and is used by many including the history group. By the time this article appears the Carnival will have been held there in September. Always a great occasion.
The three assets of the Village Hall , the Library and the recreation ground are all held civically by residents, Wokingham Council, and Shinfield Parish and are well used and loved. For more information see our new book.